Interested in serving on the Arkport Central School District Board of Education? Petitions are now available for the May 2021 election.
This year, voters will elect one member to serve a five-year term on the board, beginning July 1, 2021. The current board member whose term will end June 30, 2021 is Julianne Merry.
Residents who are interested in running for a seat on the Arkport Board of Education must collect 25 signatures from qualified school district voters. Petitions, which are available now, must be filed by 5 p.m., Monday, April 19 in the district clerk’s office, 35 East Avenue, Arkport, NY 14807.
The Arkport Board of Education is comprised of five school district residents elected by voters. Each board member is elected to a five-year term. Board members are not financially compensated.
The board is the official policy-making body of the school district. It is responsible for carrying out the laws and regulations pertaining to the education of children living within the district. The board adopts district policy, curriculum, programs of study and approves the hiring of all personnel. The board is also responsible for maintaining district facilities, establishing an annual budget, and setting a tax levy.
To qualify for board membership, an individual:
- Must be able to read and write;
- Must be a qualified district voter;
- Must be, and have been, a district resident for at least one year prior to the election, but need not be a taxpayer;
- May be the only member of his/her household on the board;
- May not be an employee of the district;
- May not simultaneously hold another public office, which has been determined by law, court ruling or Commissioner’s decision to be incompatible.
For more information, please contact District Clerk Meghann Khork, at (607) 295-7471 ext. 1416.