Getting Your Child Engaged
Research shows that when parents and family members are involved in their child's school life, the student scores higher and achieves a higher level of success in their education. Take time to learn what is happening in your child's classroom. Contact your teacher anytime you have a question or concern.
Ways to Be Involved
Parents can become involved at their child's school by
- Volunteering your time
- Donating money
- Becoming a PTSO member and attend PTSO and parent meetings regularly.
- Staying informed about what is going on in Arkport Schools.
- Engage in meaningful, two-way communication between the home and school.
- Make appointments as needed to discuss your child's progress or concerns.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences with specific questions you want to ask.
- Participate in informal opportunities to talk with and get to know school staff and educators.
- Attend School events
- Volunteer in the classroom
- Attend meetings on learning expectations, assessment and grading procedures.
- Assist your child's teacher in the classroom or on field trips if you are able.
- Voice your support or concerns on any issue that will affect your family.
Whether your child is just starting kindergarten or entering the final year of high school, there are many good reasons and opportunities for you, as parents, to get involved in your child's education. When parents and educators work together, students have higher grades and better school attendance. Parents can encourage their children to do well in school. Children need to feel like they are a needed member of a group. Do things together as a family, and enroll your kids in after-school activities. Kids want to go to school, and see the value in school when they have a feeling of community, both at home and at school.
Tutoring & Mentoring
Individual adult attention is a key contributor to student achievement and overall success in life. Volunteers help support education through a wide range of school-related opportunities, including tutoring, classroom read alouds, classroom assistance, and field trips.
If you are interested in making a difference in Arkport Central School District, please contact the school of your choice. Thank you for your support.